For some it is hard to find the words that express what you wish to say, especially in such an emotional time. A funeral quote is a great way to set the tone with your program, a bookmark, or perhaps even in a slideshow. Especially if you or your departed weren’t particularly fond of the more flowery language of poetry, the right funeral quote can stick with the mourners and help them process their grief long after the event ends.
After all, as someone once said, “A funeral is not a day in a lifetime, it is a lifetime in a day.” So here are 10 funeral quotes chosen by us to help honor that life.
- “There are no goodbyes for us. Wherever you are, you will always be in my heart.” Mahatma Gandhi
- “Life is eternal; and love is immortal; and death is only a horizon; and a horizon is nothing save the limit of our sight.” Rossiter Worthington Raymond
- “Love is something eternal... The aspect may change but not the essence.” Vincent van Gogh
- “To live in hearts we leave behind is not to die.” Thomas Campbell
- “He has achieved success who has lived well, laughed often, and loved much.” Bessie A. Stanley
- “When you are born, you cry, and the world rejoices. When you die, you rejoice, and the world cries.” Native American Proverb
- “There are some who bring a light so great to the world that even after they have gone, the light remains.” Unknown
- “The grave is but a covered bridge, leading from light to light, through a brief darkness.” Henry Wadsworth Longfellow
- “Perhaps they are not stars, but rather openings in heaven where the love of our lost ones pours through and shines down upon us to let us know they are happy.” Inuit Proverb
- “The song is ended but the melody lingers on." Irving Berlin
Another alternative to a well known quote is actually using one by the deceased. This can be a great addition to a prayer card or bookmark, to carry someone’s words around with you wherever you go. Whatever you choose is something that can be used through all your funeral materials, be they programs or slideshows, to emphasize the theme of your loved one’s life or the emotional tone of the event.
Now, as you process your loss and continue to plan for the funeral, here is another quote to keep in mind and help you through by Dr. Seuss, “Don't cry because it's over. Smile because it happened.”